Wednesday, February 7, 2018

genealogy

Hi there

I wish I'd paid more attention to that bundle of papers that were posted to me out of the blue from that cousin I didn't know I had, the papers that told me all about my genealogy heritage.  This unknown cousin had done all the necessary searching into the family tree, and there was nothing left for me to do.  My friends were spending hours researching their backgrounds with to and fro letters to all around the world and here I was with the information dropped into my lap.

 The papers have since left my lap and are somewhere around the house.  I must hunt them out.  But what I can remember is that we were the first pioneers robbed by bush-rangers somewhere down the South Island.  We had the first pioneer  baby born in Southland (or somewhere with a 'south' in it).  And the pub that an ancestor owned was reputed to hold his hoard of gold coins somewhere in the walls.  When the place was knocked down, hundreds of people swarmed around the place looking for the riches.

I havent had the fun of doing the research for myself but, hey-ho, I can sit happily back, mentally thanking my unknown cousin who is not so unknown to me nowadays; he still sends me the odd snippet of information that he digs up.  Thanks, cuz.


No comments:

Post a Comment