Wednesday, January 9, 2019

I Wanna Be a Cowboy

Hi there

When I was a child, I wanted desperately to be a boy because boys got to play at Cowboys.  Boys got to climb trees, play in the long grass, stomp through streams, and scramble over and under fences.

Girls wore puffy-sleeved organza dresses, played at cooking, wheeled dolls around in prams - I hated it.  I wanted to be like Roy Rogers, and (sigh) Audie Murphy.   Jack Palance was my fave bad guy.

I didn't care for the silly women in western movies.  They simpered, and batted their eyelashes.  They always seemed to twist their ankles when  escaping across the hills with the handsome square-jawed sheriff.  They needed a man to save the family ranch from the black-hatted baddie, they carried parasols, and needed to be helped up onto buckboards and stagecoaches.

Oh, how my nine year old heart craved to be a cowboy, in a proper cowboy outfit.  But my mother bought me a cowgirl costume.  I was heart-broken.  Okay, I had a great pistol and gun-belt, nothing wrong with them.  The gun was pearl-handled with a silver (ish) barrel and the belt had bullets tucked into it.  But, oh, that cowgirl skirt - there was a fringe around the hem, stars were stuck here and there over the (fringed) jerkin, and the boots were a rosy pink!  The whole thing was so, yuck,  feminine.

By the time I was sixteen, I was wearing rock'n'roll bop skirts, stiletto heels, and lipstick.  If I accidentally mis-matched my handbag to my shoes I would turn around from the bus stop and rush home to change, regardless of being late for something.  I wouldnt go as far as the letterbox without full make-up.  Yes, I had morphed into a girlie-girl.

A few years' ago, I achieved a dream by touring Monument Valley in the States.  Real cowboy country with all the scenery I had seen in 1950's cowboy movies.  The nine-year-old in me was over-the-moon.

I look back, nostalgically,  at all those cowboy movies I used to see at double-feature sessions at the Rivoli and Ascot theatres in Newtown -






No comments:

Post a Comment