Thursday, April 11, 2019

Table etiquette

Hi there

Years ago, I read about the proper etiquette surrounding table serviettes.  'Napkins'  (hehe), if you're American.

Did you know that when you temporarily leave your seat in a restaurant, you are supposed to drop  your serviette onto your chair?

No, I didn't know that either.  But when I was in Melbourne recently, I was determined to give it a try.  I went to lunch at the posh Conservatory buffet restaurant.  Somehow, I don't think Miss Manners thought of buffets when the idea was first thought up.

I left my chair seven times.  Each time I put my serviette on my chair in an artfully-dropped casual  bundle.  Each time when I returned with a laden plate, my serviette was on the table where a lovely and attentive but truly misguided waiter had put it there for me.

Tut-tut,  the dowager Duchess, operating out of Downton Abbey, would be much displeased.

+++

PS:  a 'napkin' or 'nappie' in British-speak is what Americans call 'diaper'.

No comments:

Post a Comment