Friday, April 24, 2020

ANZAC Day

Hi there

25 April, ANZAC Day

Because of Covid-19, there can be no ANZAC commemorative marches or services in New Zealand today.

This morning, 6 am, I stood at my gate, thinking of the brave men and women who have served my country through the years.

It was a very moving experience, knowing that maybe hundreds of thousands of kiwis were standing in silence, like me, in their driveways.

My minute's silence extended because everything was so peaceful.  My mind flipped into the images of photos I had seen of kiwi forces in peacetime and wartime.  And I shed a tear.

I didn't feel stupid standing there at dawn, with radio buds in my ears, listening to The Last Post.  I felt privileged because the future could so easily have gone another way.  If not for the courageous men and women who fought for my freedom, I might not be standing in the  driveway today.  I thank all kiwi warriors from the bottom of my heart.


Lest we forget ...





above:  Kiwis are encouraged to put a poppy in their windows today.   A friend took that encouragement to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment