Sunday, April 18, 2021

Bathing Caps

 Hi there

I tried to swim at age 10 when I lived in New Plymouth.  The instructor gave me a flutter board to begin with, then encouraged me to 'let go'.  Yeah, right.  I just sunk right down to the floor of the children's pool.

My mother was a stickler for bathing fashion and encouraged me to wear a bathing cap.  Ugh, I didn't want to wear a bathing cap. It was bad enough that I couldn't swim, but to wear a bathing cap as well?  Nope,  my psyche wouldn't stand for it.

 But then, I got fed up with Mum's harping on at me and I agreed to "just this once' wear a stupid cap.

The day I wore the bathing cap, I swam perfectly: up and down the pool, across the pool, zig-zagged the pool...  From then on, I wore my bathing cap because it was obviously some sort of miraculous flotation device.

When I was a teen, I was still wearing a bathing cap.  One day I saw a photo of me in a bathing cap - whaaat? - and never wore one again.








No comments:

Post a Comment