Sunday, May 21, 2023

Movie: 'How to Marry a Millionaire' - Easter Eggs

 Hi there

On Sundays, there are old movies often shown at the Roxy Theatre in Miramar, Wellington.  Yesterday, my friend and I saw the 1950's movie, "How to Marry a Millionaire", starring Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, and Lauren Bacall.


left to right: Monroe, Grable, Bacall

The theatre was crowded, with both young and old. I had seen this movie a few times before, both at theatres and via the computer.  Catch it, if you can.  The ending is hilarious

I loved movies when I was a kid.  And movie stars.  Also ... at this session, I was sitting next to a friend who is perhaps the most devoted Betty Grable fan ever.  Not only does he have a ton of Grable memorabelia but also an original old-fashioned movie reel of "How to Marry a Millionaire".  Between us, we are very aware of Hollywood 'doings'.

But I hadn't realised that old Hollywood hid away easter eggs in their movies.  A movie easter egg is when something pops up in a film that really shouldnt be there, doesnt fit into the plot, is pointing out something that fans in the know are aware of, but others may not be.  Movie easter eggs are said to have originated with the 'Star Wars' franchise.

However, I spotted two in 'How to Marry a Millionaire' -

Someone switched on a radio to a big band tune, and Grable, in character, mentioned she liked music from Harry James.  Well, I nearly fell off my seat because I knew that Grable had been married to Harry James.

The second easter egg was when Lauren Bacall, also in character, and during a conversation, said something about 'that actor in 'African Queen".  In real life, she had been married to Humphry Bogart, the star of 'African Queen'.

I wonder if Marilyn Monroe, too, had an easter egg in "How to Marry a Millionaire'?  An egg that I hadn't spotted....






No comments:

Post a Comment