Saturday, August 19, 2023

Zoos

 Hi there

 On the one hand, I understand that it's not good to see animals caged up, away from the freedom of their native lands but, on the other hand, I realise that if many animal species are to continue then zoos or wild-life parks are perhaps the only way to go, with inter-zoo breeding programmes, and the like.   

Even on huge 'protected' reserves in Africa, as an example, there are always poachers.  And dry conditions.  And no food to hunt or forage for.  Many animals are so close to extinction.  I read a recent article that said seagulls will be extinct from New Zealand skies in fifty years - hey, I can't truly believe this because there are so many squawking, flapping seagulls hovering around me as I eat my tomato sandwiches whilst sitting on a bench at Oriental Bay???

The nicest zoo experience I've ever had was a few years back at Melbourne Zoo where customers were allowed into the huge reserve holding the lemurs.  The cute little creatures were all a-frolic around me. In full move-it-move-it mode. So adorable, but I couldn't help feeling guilty about their captivity...


Stock photo


No comments:

Post a Comment