Saturday, September 7, 2024

Comics Banned in New Zealand in the 1950s

 Hi there


I was a young girl, mad about the English romance comic 'Valentine'.  'Valentine' was full of drawn romance stories, and interviews with pop stars, and instead of letters-to-the-editor, it was letters to Davy-the-mailroom-boy.  Everyone who got their letter printed got an 8"x10" photo of their requested favourite.  I managed to get a photo of Elvis in army uniform.  Sigh....

There were no New Zealand comics at the time.  Overseas magazines and comics were imported.  They took a minimum of 6 weeks to about 10 weeks to get from England to New Zealand.  By ship.    Kiwis were used to their overseas reading matter being so out-of-date.  

But by 1958 the change had come.  It was general knowledge that comics caused juvenile delinquency (huh?) 

So...   Comics were banned!  Government censorship was in from the middle of the decade, along with the famous Black Budget under Prime Minister Walter Nash.  I lost my beloved 'Valentine' comic.  Right in the middle of an exciting serial.  Would the heroine get her hero, the famous concert pianist?  Or would she have to marry the cad?

I moped around the house for weeks.  I was so devastated that my father sent a ten shilling note over to England and asked if 'Valentine' could be sent direct to our house, as newsagents would no longer be accepting overseas comics.

Yes!  For a couple of years I got 'Valentine' delivered, until the publishers sent a note saying the ban had been well-lifted and I should now get the comic in New Zealand.  

I never did find out whether that heroine married the cad or the gorgeous pianist....


No comments:

Post a Comment