Saturday, April 29, 2017

My Newtown Past

Hi there

There are lots of places in the world with the name of Newtown.  I grew up in Newtown, Wellington, New Zealand.

My mother grew up in Newtown.  My grandparents grew up in Newtown.

In the later 1800s(ish), my grandfather used to ride his horse to and from work in Courtenay Place, where he worked for the council.  Courtenay Place was maybe four km from my grandfather's Newtown house.

I remember my grandmother telling me that Granddad would always stop at John Street on the way home, to let his horse drink from the water trough that was there.

Whenever I pass through the John Street area in Newtown nowadays I always think of my granddad , his horse, and that water trough.  We've certainly come a long way since those days..



Above: here's a pic of modern day John Street area; it's on the edge of Newtown.  And I don't know why I say "modern day John Street" because the area is historic, still with its wild west-style shop verandas and wooden buildings.

(Photo taken from the net)

No comments:

Post a Comment