Thursday, April 27, 2017

My Palmerston North Visit

Hi there

I took a flying overnight visit to Palmerston North last week.  But I didn't actully fly of course - PN is only a couple of hours away from Wellington - I went by car.  I was in Palmerston North to see the stage musical "Chorus Line".

I'd seen "Chorus Line" over twenty years ago in Wellington and even bought the CD.  I had a great memory of the show.  But goodness I am so used, nowadays, to seeing hi-tech shows like "Matilda", "Billy Elliot",  Priscilla, Queen of the Desert", "Sister Act" that "Chorus Line" just seemed so ... ordinary.

The plot is about a group of young people auditioning to be in the chorus line of a big Broadway show.  There is a black background, and the auditionees stand in a row and each one tells the director his or her story, mostly via song.  The director, calling out questions, sat in the audience (right beside me!).  This show was often boring.

How sad that we, as show-going people, expect more in a show nowadays than just acting and singing?  We expect to be entertained with lasers, and pulleys, and flying cars, and umpteen changes of costumes and scenery?

...Whilst in Palmerston I wandered around The Square.  It was the school holidays, and there was a temporary ice-skating rink -





No comments:

Post a Comment