Sunday, March 3, 2019

Lake Hawea

Hi there

Way back in the mists of time, well, 1974, I went on a bus tour around the South Island.  I remember standing on the shore of Lake Hawea and saying to myself "This is the most beautiful view in the whole of New Zealand."  And for years, I always tell people to go to Lake Hawea.  However, I began to doubt myself.  Was Hawea as wonderful as I remembered it?  It's a fifteen minute drive from Lake Wanaka, so I went there last month.  And do you know what?  It was just as beautiful as I remembered.  Untouched.  Unspoilt  No houses.  I stood by the shore and took it all in:  just pure pristine-ness, and I don't think that's even a word.

Mind you, I almost missed finding the lake.  I thought the Hawea main road would snake around the water's edge.  It didn't.  I had to ask a  local guy:  a - "Where's the village?"  There isn't one;   b - "Where's the lake?"  Down the side roads, look for the signs.

My photos don't do Hawea justice.







below:  I had lunch at the Lake Hawea Hotel (just as you enter Hawea).  Great fish and chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment