Thursday, March 4, 2021

Earthquakes, earthquakes, earthquakes

 Hi there

I was in bed reading all through last night.  At about 2 30 am there was a jolt of an earthquake.  I stumbled out of bed and raced to under the dining room table, clutching onto the table legs.  As I clutched I was thinking that my clutching wasnt going to hold the table steady because my table legs had castors on them. We are always told by authorities if earthquakes are "long and strong,  get gone".  I deemed this earthquake was short and not too strong.

I immediately turned on the radio and people were already ringing in about the quake.  It appeared most of New Zealand felt it which is highly unusual  because normally our earthquakes are in certain areas.

I live about 400 metres from the sea, on the flat, and now there is a tsunami warning for the eastern side of the North Island of New Zealand. which is a long way from me at the bottom of the North Island, but I'm on standby because any tsunami may reach Wellington.  

Do you remember that I go to Ohope for holiday a lot of times?  The residents evacuated to higher ground in the middle of last night.  Car lines and people everywhere on the hill from Ohope to Whakatane.

There have been further little quakes and a big one in nearby Kermedec Islands....

Later in evening:  everything OK now.  I've come out from under the table ...






No comments:

Post a Comment