Saturday, March 13, 2021

Jellyfish, yuck!

 Hi there

I trotted down to Hataitai Beach yesterday.  One of the regular guys was there.  "Jellyfish!" he shouted, deleriously happy for some reason.  "They're everywhere!  Let's swim."

"Nope, I'm not going in," I said.  "Never, no way, not at all."  The jellyfish varied in size from tiny up to saucer-shaped.  They were the transparent ones, with a black fringe around their edge.  I knew they were harmless but I hate banging into them when I'm swimming.  I always let out a yip of horror loud enough to be heard on the shore.. 

So, I sun-bathed on the deck instead.  Merry, a friend went for a swim.  She said that once she had reached deeper water there were hardly any jellyfish.  "I'll lead the way through them," Merry said.  "You can follow in my wake."

So, I scrunched up my courage and followed her into the water, real close behind.   Because it was low tide, there was quite a bit of walking until the sea reached up to my waist.  Merry scooped up perhaps thirty jellyfish from either side as she ploughed through the water, and threw each one further afield.  She was like my own personal mine-sweeper (jellyfish-sweeper?).

Oh dear, I am such a wimp...

No comments:

Post a Comment