Saturday, June 5, 2021

Outlaw Colours

 Hi there

In the early 1960's, when I was young - let's say teenage - there were certain colours that people couldn't  wear together because, well, posh fashionistas of the time decreed it was a giant no-no.

I got a beautiful  blue and green dress, real cheap, at a  DIC sale  because nobody wanted it.  I wore this dress to work.  All the 'girls' in the typing pool were horrified. "Blue and green never seen," several of the typists chanted.  By wearing blue and green together I had revealed to the world how little I knew about fashion.  However, I loved that dress and wore it for many years.

We also understood never to wear  black and brown together.  Or silver and gold together.  Or anything remotely glittery in the daytime.  And red-heads shouldn't wear orange.   

One hang-up that's still clung on for it's life is our wearing dark colours in the winter.  Why?  I love colours.  I want to wear them in the winter.  I walk into a clothing store in, say, April, and my heart drops.  It's a sea of black, navy, brown.  So depressing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment