Sunday, December 12, 2021

Nobody Loves a Fairy When She's 40 (how about 60?)

 Hi there

I belong to one of several community centres over 60's drama(sort of) groups.  Recently we had to blindly pick a prop out of a bag and make up a couple of minutes' story over the prop.  I got a flower circlet that I plonked on my head and I said I was the fairy princess Orange Blossom.  I was quite snooty...

It made me think about that old song that I heard many moons ago on a music hall programme.

Nobody Loves a Fairy When She's Forty -

Nobody loves a fairy when she's forty

Nobody loves a fairy when she's old

She may still have a magic power but that is not enough

They like their bit of magic from a younger bit of stuff

When once your silver star has lost its glitter

And your tinsel looks like rust instead of gold

Your fairy days are ending when your wand has started bending

Nobody loves a fairy when she's old.


Of course there can be all sorts of interpretations for this song (wink, wink, nudge, nudge....)

The singer Marcia Lewis sings a great version on You Tube.  The version where she's in a purple dress.



No comments:

Post a Comment