Sunday, February 13, 2022

Those romantic movies

 Hi there

I can't exactly pinpoint when my taste in movies changed.  I can remember once-upon-a-time saying to friends that my fave films were "The Godfather" and "The Eagle Has Landed".  I didn't even care that  (spoiler-alert!-spoiler-alert!) Michael Caine was killed in the end of "The Eagle Has Landed", it was fitting, right?

But over the years I started to worry about Michael's character dying.  I realised how much I luuurved that character.  How dare he die, my heart was breaking for him.  

OMG, was I turning sentimental?

The next step, much to my annoyance, was that heart of mine telling me not to go to movies where animals died in the finale (pick any film about dogs).  Or if  I found out in advance that a hero had kicked the bucket.  Or If there was even a teeny iota of violence to a movie...

And I was watching romcoms.  And - aww, no! -  luuurving them.

Pretty Woman, Notting Hill, Love Actually.  Most definitely any Netflix movie containing a waitress/news reporter who ended up marrying a prince of a foreign land.

The final nail in my coffin of love and sentimentality came when, years later,  author Jack Higgins wrote a sequel to his book  "The Eagle Has Landed".  My Michael Caine movie non-hero, the honourable German officer masquerading as a Polish WWII ally in England, had lived through all that hail of bullets.  I did a Snoopy happy-dance around the sitting room, I sang out hallelujah.

Bring on those happy endings in books and movies.  Bring on the romcoms, and the lovers, and the meet-cutes.  Bring on the fluff and magic.  I unashamedly love it all...







No comments:

Post a Comment