Saturday, February 26, 2022

Ruminations during a walk when Omicron is rampant

 Hi there

Right... Have I got my mask?  No, darn-it.  I'll have to go back home and get it.....  Oh wait, it's in my pocket...

I'll put on my mask if I approach anyone.  And, whoops, there's a guy up ahead.  I'll just duck behind this lamppost and he'll be 6 feet away from me....  Oh, lucky me, he saw me and is suddenly veering to cross the road.   I must say I'm hurt that he thinks I could infect him!

Lah-de-dah-daa, it's so lovely power-walking in the sun, with the birds chirping, the locusts singing, and -    Oh no, there's a mother with two kiddies trailing behind her..  I mustn't let my eyes wander from the kiddies. They look obedient, but could run up to me any second.  Omicron-Omicron.

Phew, thank goodness, the mother is circling her brood out into the gutter  and I'm ducking into somebody's driveway.  From about 12 feet apart, we exchange  'sup nods of greeting.

But ... Oh dear, a bunch of teen lads is approaching - where's my mask, oh it's dangling from my wrist; put it on quickly-

I feel like I'm spying for the SIS as I squat behind a bush halfway up the Maupuia hill, and watching the teens.  But, hey,  all's well, they've meandered down a zig-zag path, well away from me.

I tell myself that I am not anxious being out in the city, with Omicron raging.  I-am-not-anxious-I-am-not-anxious-

Oh......................... to heck with it, I'm going home to my comfy couch, to Netflix, to my three-month supply of toilet rolls, to my landline phone on which i can talk for three hours to my best friend, and to a massively thick front door behind which i can lock out Omicron...






No comments:

Post a Comment