Friday, March 24, 2023

English language

 Hi there

I was walking past Michael Hill-Jewellers the other day and I read some writing on their outside chalkboard: "20% off of our coloured gemstones".

Um.  Looking back, I can't really remember if my mind got the percentage right, but I was definitely flummoxed by the "off of..."

 "Off of..." ?

The 'of' is not needed.  It's such bad english.  Oh, wait, isn't 'off of' an American phrase?  

The same goes for that animated tv ad that's put out by Electric Kiwi, the power company:   "We would love for you to join us..."

"For you. ..".   The word 'for" is completely unnecessary.  That ad grates on me every time I see it.  More American phrasing. 

Guess I'm just an old curmudgeon.  And I often wonder if Americans get rattled when they hear their 'Mom' described as 'Mum' by the British?



No comments:

Post a Comment