Saturday, June 10, 2023

Otari-Wilton Bush Walk

 Hi there

Last week I decided to go to Otari-Wilton Bush for a walk.  I didn't know much about the place but people often talk to me about it, and I'm always reading about it.  

So, I set off for Karori, turning off just past the tunnel, and paying attention to the signs.  Ah, yes, there was the bush entrance-

Oh, noooo  -  The carpark was full.  I'd go around once more, just in case I missed a space....

No.  Oh dear, I would have to go home, and there were no parks nearby on the road either.  But I couldn't do a right-turn as I came out of the carpark, so I had to carry on to the bottom of the hill.  And then -  What's that?  The notice said that here was the north end carpark for Otari-Wilton Bush.  Success!

I decided to do the circular track.  It was up a hill, and I loved looking at all the native plants and trees.  There was a stream to my side.  Otari-Wilton is famous for all the NZ species of plants. I enjoyed this walk.

I got to the top of the hill, to an 'alpine garden' .  Then to the information office (what, no cafe??), and a platform above the trees.



above:  alpine garden
above: Otari-Wilton bush canopy, from the platform

Then, down lots, and lots of steep steps, and the track was in a zig-zag pattern.

I got to a plateau at the bottom of the hill.  There was a notice advertising the circular track with an arrow going to the left.  Hang on, there was also an arrow going to the right!

Well, the stream was on my left, and I realised I had to keep near that, so up a steep hill I went.

The track was ultra narrow.  In places, less than a metre in width, with a deep bank one side, stream to the bottom, and the cliff to my other side.

The track got narrower, and overgrown.  When I had to squeeze between the trunks of two trees to get higher up the slippery-slide-y and muddy slope I admit I was feeling stressed, the tears were coming...

I had to make the decision.  Would I turn back, or keep going?'  I turned back.  When I got to the plateau again, I took the right-hand arrow, turned a corner and there was the stream again.  But was I going the right way?  A guy passed me.

"Am I going the right way to the North Carpark?" I asked

"Have you lost your car?" he said.

"No.  I've lost me..."

Apparently, I was on the right bush track.  

On reaching the carpark, my little car had never looked so welcoming....



No comments:

Post a Comment