Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas Day, evening. ( NZ time)

Hi there

As I type this, I am watching the Queen's Message on tv.  I am full and happy after Christmas Day luncheon at the West Plaza Hotel.

It was a lovely meal, but it was what I would call a kiwi summer buffet.  There was no roast beef/gravy/roast potatoes.  There were salads, salmon, potato gratin, turkey, ham.  The desserts were cold, nothing hot.  I couldnt work out whether the hard  cold slices of something was supposed to be Chistmas cake or plum pudding.  The mince pies were obviously out of a packet.  There were miniscule pavs (put your thumb and forefinger together and that was the size of all the dessert selections).

I guess that the old English tradition of a full hot Christmas day meal is practically out, which I suppose is sensible because it is our summer over here, halfway across the world from England. It is sad in a way for people of my generation, but young people, of course, don't even know, nowadays,   how slavishly NZ used to follow anything English.

below:  West Plaza Hotel Wellington, Christmas luncheon, 25 December 2017




No comments:

Post a Comment