Sunday, October 14, 2012

Middle-Earth Count-down Clock to Hobbit Premier

I live in Miramar, Wellington, New Zealand.  And being that I live in Miramar, home of Weta Workshop, Weta Digital, and Peter Jackson, I have a fairly intense interest in the coming world premier of "The Hobbit" (part 1).  Okay we've got the world premier, just like we did for LOTR: The Return of the King.  But I well remember some star in Hollywood dismissing our earlier  "world premier" as of no consequence and when the movie had it's premier in Hollywood a few days later, that would be the real one.

Who cares?  Wellington will go all out for our big day.  And last week, our mayor announced a count-down clock on the top of the Embassy Theatre, ticking down the hours. We saw it (working) on television.

I hiked down to the Embassy this morning.  Well, actually I drove, so sue me.  I went down with the express purpose of photographing the clock.  Naturally, when I parked, I realised I didnt have my camera.  But, thanks to my swimming buddy, J who told me to always keep an old camera in the car, I was prepared.

But not prepared for the clock not operating!

Anyway, here are some pics of the Embassy Theatre at the end of Courtenay Place.  What looks like a giant creepy-crawlie(a weta?)  is a Weta sculpture.  Note the movie camera at the top of it. 

Look to the top of the theatre and you will see neon signs that refer to Wellington being the middle of Middle Earth.  In the centre of these two signs.... no clock!  Sorry about that.



PS:  Second swim for October.... done!  I must admit I'm a bit worried whether we can get more swims in by end of month.  The weather has not been kind to us.  And now that I've opened my big mouth and said,we're trying for five swims (oh dear), per month, I'm sure that J is giving me the evil eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment