Thursday, March 26, 2015

the trials of buying a new oven

Hi there

I was going to look at new ovens.  Clutched in my hand was the picture and price of the model I wanted.  It was on sale.  Nothing, I decided,  would dissuade me from buying this particular oven.

My friend, J, shook her head sadly.  She knew the likes of other people's persuasion lined up against my lack of willpower.  "Be strong," she said.  "Stick with the model of oven that you truly want.  Let no sales assistant talk you into anything else."

Oops.  I bought a dearer oven.  The sales assistant was so nice.  He went on about all the do-hickeys and the thing-a-me-bobs, and the bells and whistles of another brand and  I caved in.

I hung my head in front of J.  She tsk-tsked.  "When is this oven arriving?" she asked.

"Tomorrow.  Between noon and 3."

"Never."

"Yes-yes!"  I was so excited.

"Oh, Lorraine....  You know that tradespeople and deliverers of products never come when they say they're going to-"

I didn't believe that.  I had faith of the heart....

The following afternoon, I sat in my lounge all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, waiting for my oven to be delivered.

And I waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

The sales assistant at Noel Leeming's had forgotten to notify the deliverers.

J was so going to crow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment