Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Awakeri Rail Adventures, Whakatane

Hi there

While I was on holiday last week I went on an Awakeri Rail Adventure.  I drove something that looked like a golf cart along a decommissioned railway track that was in an area just before the township of Whakatane.

It was a lot of fun.  There were probably about five carts and we were led along the rails by a jigger (?), driven by an owner of the company.  Not that there was much driving involved.  There was a steering wheel, sure, but it was un-usable and it truly felt weird to just sit there, not using the thing.  We used the foot pedal to slow down, speed up, or stop.

We stopped the carts at one point to feed dozens upon dozens of geese, ducks, and hens who came running across from a farm to greedily welcome us.  Another time we stopped for  a bush walk, then we stopped for a bush afternoon tea.  We drove over a couple of narrow bridges over roads and little valleys. In total, about two and a half hours.  We travelled completely through lush greenery.

I took loads of photos but, of course, I lost my phone, so here is a photo from the Whakatane information site.


No comments:

Post a Comment