Friday, October 12, 2018

Adventure Day, Paraparaumu

Hi there

I decided last week to have an Adventure Day.  I hopped in my car and went up Highway No 1, from Wellington.

First I went to the mall in Porirua for a couple  of hours.  Then I drove to Fisherman's Table, a casual buffet restaurant that's right on the highway.   I had a table by the window, and a great meal.  Kapiti Island looked fantastic from the restaurant.

I carried on driving, past the Paraparaumu mall, round the next corner, and down to Paraparaumu Beach.   I had a long walk on the sands.  Kapiti Island was directly across from me.

Visitors never used to be able to visit Kapiti.  It was tapu (taboo).  But now if a visitor books through - I think - DOC (Department of Conservation), they can get a boat ride aross the water from Paraparaumu.  It's especially lovely over the summer months.

A few years' ago, I hiked to the top of the island, but a visitor doesn't have to do this in the few hours that they're there.  There are song-birds,  swimming, wandering along different tracks, and just picnic-ing.




Kapiti Island, from Paraparaumu Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment