Thursday, November 1, 2018

Thanksgiving USA

Hi there

When I was in the United States an American lady said to me, "And what do you do for Thanksgiving?"

"We don't have Thanksgiving," I said.

"You don't believe in it?"

"It's your Thanksgiving," I said.  "It's nothing to do with New Zealand."

The American lady was confused.  I had to explain to her that Thanksgiving Day was an American-only holiday, and that if I remembered rightly from school history lessons, the occasion was to celebrate the first pilgrims and indiginous people of that country gathering together for a meal.   No other country in the whole wide world, I said, celebrated Thanksgiving because - heaven's to Betsy! - other countries had their own special anniversaries.

I felt like asking the woman, "How do you celebrate Waitangi Day?" - but I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment