Thursday, February 21, 2019

And the Holiday continued ...

Hi there

Well, I'm back home in Wellington after six days at Lake Wanaka where I went directly after my week in Queenstown.

More little niggles ...

If I thought I'd had sandfly bites from the beach at Queenstown, that was nothing compared to the sandflies at Lake Wanaka.  I was covered in itchy blotches.  My bathing suit is mainly black and apparently sandflies lurve black!

My naughty rental car was in the act of backing and it hit a low concrete bollard.  Oh dear.  It was a good thing I'd taken out the highest rental car insurance on the market.  I didn't have to pay a cent for the scratches.

Twice I flooded my Lake Wanaka Lodge bathroom.  The seams in the shower wall were worn.

On my first day in Wanaka, I thought "My leg is better, I'll go on a hike."  So I did.  And I got a heel problem instead (plantar fasciitis, an old enemy). Am still hobbling today.

I'd booked for an afternoon boat trip on a glacier lake where there were icebergs.  The tour was leaving from Mt Cook Village, a two and a half hour car ride from Wanaka (it was Chinese New Year and I couldnt get accommodation in Mt Cook Village).  A long trip but I figured it would be totally worth it because while I was in the Village, I could go on a hike and, also, have a lovely buffet lunch at The Hermitage Hotel.

But two days before my scheduled boat trip a massive iceberg in the lake broke up and the boat trips were iffy as to whether they would be on.  I took a chance and drove there.  The trips for that day were called off!  Stll, there is a ten minute bus ride (I could have taken my car)  that does the round trip from The Hermitage to the glacier lake track every hour for $20, followed by a gentle-ish 40 minute (return) hike.  The glacier lake looked great, with all the broken iceberg bits. 





above: on my hike from Mt Cook Village (that's Aorakei Mt Cook on right).  The Southern Alps are biggest mountain range and can even be seen from the North Island.


 above:  Lake Wanaka beach


No comments:

Post a Comment