Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Everything Old is New Again

Hi there

I can't get it into my head that hardwood floors are 'in'.  When I was a small kid, I would play on my grandma's wooden floor, in a kitchen that was an add-on to her 1800's Newtown house.  That floor was horrible.

It wasn't elegantly varnished or sand-polished.  It was scrubbed daily by grandma, so hard that the original virginal bare boards had lost any newness they might have once had.  They were scruffy-looking and free of any gloss. Hairy flakes of wood  came up when I scuffed over it.  The boards were unsteady and squeaky.  I got splinters in my bare feet.

No.  No way, do I want wooden floors; wooden floors are so old-fashioned.   I'm clinging to lino in the kitchen and warm carpet for my tootsies in the other rooms.  I mean, how old-fashioned can anyone be to want wooden floors?  Honestly.

Well, not honestly.  I know, deep down, that it's me living in the past.

People were poor when I was a kid.  The adults were coming out of the depression and two world wars. Wooden floors and painted interior walls bring back to me echoes of not being able to afford much.  Rich people could buy carpet and wallpaper, most others couldn't.  The little girl I used to be craved to have nice things like carpet and wallpaper in her grown-up life.

###


Psst, don't tell anyone but occasionally, once-in-a-blue-moon, here and there, now and then, I do think about getting hardwood floors.  I'm not quite there yet, but watch this space ...

No comments:

Post a Comment