Sunday, July 5, 2020

Differences between New Zealand and the United States

Overseas travellers often talk or write about the differences between New Zealand and the United States.

They mention our no tipping, meat pies, slang, driving on the wrong side of the road, Lemon & Paeroa, hokey pokey, bare feet...

I have a standard lamp that was obviously made in the States because the turn-on switch  goes up instead of down.  And our wall plug outlets have on/off switches.

We stand on the left on escalators, walk on the left, drive on the left.  When I was in the States I found it so difficult walking on the right, especially when I would turn a corner; I craved  to run over to the left.

A few years back, I was bush hiking (I'm dying to say 'tramping ' instead of 'hiking', but Americans might raise eyebrows).  This middle-aged couple came toward me.  They were hiking my side of the track, and almost crashed into me.

 "Americans?" I grinned.

They burst into laughter, realising immediately they were walking on the wrong side ...

Been there, done that.  Lots of times.  In America.

No comments:

Post a Comment