Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Typist-in-Charge, episode 7

 TYPIST-IN-CHARGE

Episode 7

Typing Room 305, Government Buildings, Wellington, NZ, 1960's


It was a rite of passage in Typing Room 305...  21st birthdays were a big thing.  So were marriages, Christmas, farewells, and going away to Australia for a 2 week holiday (such an adventure for me!).

Today was the day I was celebrating my 21st.  I was relieving at Stores Division in Thorndon.  But the office sent a car for me and I was feted like a queen at a special morning tea.  They'd even invited my mother.

The 'girls' chipped in with food from home, and there was a 21st birthday cake.  The cake probably came from the Art Craft Cake Kitchen which was up the road, opposite Parliament Buildings;  all our  sponge cakes and sausage rolls  came from there.

I was presented with a lovely jewellery box which I still have to this day.



above:  that's my mum behind me



above:  room 305.  We shoved two typists' desks together.


above from right:  Miss Hopkins, Mrs Parr


above: from right front: Sheila, Val.    Val had her 21st three months before me and she received two beautiful vases.
 


PS: I was burrowing away in an old suitcase and I found the above slides (slides? huh?) that Francie, typist, had taken of my 21st birthday.  Wow, was I ever so young?




No comments:

Post a Comment