Sunday, October 17, 2021

New Plymouth Holiday

 Hi there

I sudddenly got it into my head to go to New Plymouth for five nights.  What fun?  On the way up to NP my car got caught twice in detours because of car accidents.  A 30 minute detour at Levin.  And then, as I was approaching Waverly,  I was held up in a loooooong queue where I was stationary for over 2 hours.  

And, on the way home - at Inglewood -  I had a 45 minute detour that led me up hill, down dale, between paddocks, sheep, cows, and through  the bush.  When  I emerged, I worked out that if there had been no detour I could have covered the original route in about five minutes.

New Plymouth was great.  Every day I walked the Coastal Walkway.  I felt so tired but what a wonderful walk with a terrific sea view.  Nobody on the walkway wore masks, but the minute I crossed the train tracks into the city, masks were everywhere.

And talking about train tracks ....?  I was about to cross one lot of tracks, looking both ways and making sure no train was approaching when a guy came toward me from the other side of the train tracks.  Meaningfully, he stopped mid-track, burrowed around for his water bottle, took a swig, put his bottle back in his pack, then sauntered across to the gateway.  What a silly guy!  

below:  Mt Taranaki was a stand-in for Mt Fuji in Tom Cruise movie "The Last Samurai".


below:  Devon Street. Main shopping street, New Plymouth


below: Mt Taranaki, from the Coastal Walkway




No comments:

Post a Comment