Monday, April 25, 2022

Sing-alongs in Rest Homes?

 Hi there

above: singer Madonna.

When I was young I visited a rest home with my mother.  The residents were gathered around a piano for a sing-along.  

With great gusto the oldies blasted out "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do..."  Daisy's boyfriend, poor guy, could only afford a "bicycle built for two" instead of  a carriage.  I felt for him.    

Then there was the stuttering farmboy who shyly asked the love of his life - "K-K-K-Katy" - to meet him "at the k-k-k-kitchen door.."   Would that song be released nowadays or would stuttering be classed as too sensitive a subject to sing about, I wonder?

Oh, and not to forget "Cruising Down the River".  This little ditty was so popular the rest home retirees sang it half-a-dozen times.  It was obviously the thoughtfully magnificent choice of rhyming that they marvelled over:  moon, June, tune, afternoon, honeymoon .  Mum and I happily sang along.

All the songs were from my mother's generation but, of course, I knew them too.  I mean, the Sunday afternoon 2ZB request session was full of such music.

I remember idly wondering what song I would be singing when I was in a rest home.  Probably the same stuff I reasoned.  Come on, they were classics. 

Many years later Madonna released the song "Like a Virgin".  She sang about "being touched for the very first time..."  And I thought,  "My goodness, is this song a new classic?  In the future, will it be sung lustily in rest homes?  Will I be singing it?  Oh dear..

Rapping?  Twerking?  Who knows what oldies in rest homes will be doing and singing by the time I find my way into the likes of  the Rita Angus age care facility in Kilbirnie?  I must brush up on my Eminem and Kanye.  And can anyone teach me how to pole dance?



 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment