Sunday, September 3, 2023

More of Sydney

 Hi there

When I was in Sydney two weeks ago, I went on the ferry over to Manly.  It's about a half hour ride. Extremely windy, if you sit outside on a deck.

 Manly is my favourite area.  There is Manly Beach which I far prefer to Bondi.  But the best walking area for me is when I turn left out of the ferry building and follow the footpath.  It twines around the water's edge.  I walked a long-long way along this path once before, then caught a bus (I think) to take me over the bridge to Sydney CBD.

This time I just had a leisurely walk for about an hour or so each way.  I loved it.  The views are great, tranquil, and it was nice looking at the expensive homes lining the footpath.  I passed several lovely swimming coves which had shark nets.  A few people were swimming.  I spoke to one swimmer coming out from the water.  He told me the water was cold.  -

"What would the water temperature be?" I asked.

"Um.. About 18c."

 "It' would be about 11c in Wellington."

We both pondered that, then agreed it was relevant to the two countries having way different winter temperatures in August.  Australia warm, New Zealand cold.  Bodies acclimating.  He was cold in the water at 18, me at 11.  A temperature of 18c would be okay for a Wellington summer...

I couldn't get over how botanic-garden-ish the walk was.  The plants, flowers, and grasses lining the walkway, between the sea and myself, were all perfectly manicured.  The suburb of Fairlight had great views to a marina.

I went back to Manly on another day, a Sunday.  If Manly hadnt been so far from my beloved theatre visits, I would stay in Manly.  

This time I turned right from the ferry building and wandered up the main shopping street (I bought an expensive bathing suit!), and across to Manly Beach.  My left foot had now reached full-blown blister status from the Manly walk I had done to Fairlight days earlier.  Curses, why hadn't I brought trainers with me on this holiday?

I hobbled along the foreshore, then popped in to a grand hotel for a lovely-but-expensive lunch.  There was a regular Sunday market on down the main streets and I bought a (expensive) shoulder bag.

 .... all-in-all, an expensive, footsore, yet lovable day...

above: Manly Beach

above: my Manly Fairlight walk.  Kudos to the gardeners

More of my Manly walk



No comments:

Post a Comment