Sunday, September 17, 2023

The quiet(?) after the storm

 Hi there

Well...  The wild gusty winds certainly hit Wellington last night.  My kowhai tree blew completely out from the ground. My neighbour lost her fence. Electricity went down in many areas.

I was so stressed out because I didn't know how on earth I was going to get rid of the tree from slap-bang in the middle of my front lawn.  I couldn't get around it or over it, I couldn't open my bedroom window, I had a little garden lopper that could only cut twiggy branches. Many branches were as thick as my thighs and if you've ever seen my thighs you would be horrified at their thicky-ness.  The kowhai tree's trunk was even thicker.  How on earth was I going to chop it up and cart it away.

This morning I lopped off as much as I could from the tree, but truly it wasn't much.  But then - miracle of miracles! - a neighbour arrived with a chainsaw.  Whoopee, my lawn was soon tree-free, with blocks of branches safely tucked away for me to gradually feed into my wheelibin.

Wow, thank you, neighbour....


above: a stock photo of a New Zealand tui bird in a kowhai tree.  I will so miss watching the tui sipping from the kowhai flower, and my listening to its beautiful singing voice.






No comments:

Post a Comment