Saturday, October 7, 2023

Election next week

Hi there

It's all go....  Our big political elections are next Saturday.  The two main parties - Labour and National - and a bunch of smaller parties are wearing themselves out, racing up and down the country, visiting schools, factories, farms, outdoor markets, etc.  The present prime minister came down with covid and had to stay confined at home for five days - what, no electioneering?; is there some sort of conspiracy theory here?

There's been lots of back-biting.  I remember times, in the past, when no one party would lower themselves to sling off so horribly about another party.  Nowadays ...  the gloves are off.  

One thing that I can never understand is why so many people vote in advance of official election day.  I would never do this.  What if, between my vote and election day, there was some giant scandal to do with the person or party I'd voted for?  I couldn't claw back my vote ...

  ***

I went for a return walk from Lyall Bay to Island Bay last week.  The sky was so beautiful.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment