Saturday, January 13, 2024

Beaches

 Hi there

I've shown enough photos of Hataitai Beach over the years so, by now, you will know that I don't like swimming where there are big breaker waves and fierce water.  This is why I like Hataitai Beach.  I can easily swim back and forth across the bay, like lengths at a pool.  When I'm in fierce water, it's impossible to swim so all I can do is dive-bomb into each approaching wave, then hope to the heavens that I have time to stand up and re-group before the next huge wave appears behind me with the full intent of mowing me down.

Much as I like dive-bombing into waves and get that wonderfully euphoric feeling as I'm swimming under water, there is still always the small niggle that I could drown.  A few years ago at Ohope Beach, a wave threw me aside with such strength that my leg twisted under me and my boogie board broke right in two.


above:  Main Beach, Mt Maunganui.  Better to go to Pilot Bay, a couple of minutes away.



above:  Not for me (having said that I did wave-dive here!)


No comments:

Post a Comment