Saturday, January 27, 2024

Cafe names

 Hi there

I'm never surprised when I visit a waterside holiday area  and discover a cafe called either The Boathouse or The Boatshed.  When the owners are naming their eateries don't they ever give thought to what a common, unoriginal, no-thought-involved name they've picked?

There are Boathouse and Boatshed cafes everywhere.  Heck, in Nelson, The Boatshed and The Boathouse are only a two minute walk apart from each other, and even on the same side of the same road.   Confusion much for customers?

The same goes for cafes with the name 'Relish'.  If i come across another 'Relish', be it in Aotearoa-New Zealand or overseas, I swear you'll be seeing me standing in front of the place and stamping my foot.  

I guess the owners of such cafes get a 'Eureka' moment that suddenly hits them and they shriek "I've got it!! - The Boathouse!  And so original. No cafe owner - occupying an old boathouse, like us- will ever have thought of the name!" .

No comments:

Post a Comment