Saturday, March 23, 2024

Ahoy, Jellyfish

 Hi there

It's jellyfish time at Hataitai Beach.  Let's hope it's not going to be as bad as one year when the sand was cluttered all over with dozens of dried-up jellyfish.  The water was full of them.

Last week one hit me when I was swimming.  I'm ashamed to admit I shrieked and all the beach-goers looked over to me as I hastily made an exit from the water.

A couple of days later I hit another one.

Yesterday, I hit two.  I shrieked both times.  I hate it when my hand hits a jellyfish.  I must hit its middle because the feel to me is quite hard as it slaps against my hand.  Yesterday, one of the women swimmers told me that a jellyfish had just slapped her in the face..  Yuck....

I know these jellyfish aren't harmful, not even in the slightest.  But they're often as big as saucers.  They have a dark middle and a floppy outside.  I've seen kids scoop them out of the water and toss them around.

I hate the way they spring up on me without warning, like something out of a horror movie.   I hate their slime-like hard feel. I hate them, full-stop.

... and the advance jellyfish are here now.  The armies will probably follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment