Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Visit to the Dentist. - Again

Hi there

-have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist?-

I checked the 'Yes' box.

-are you scared coming to the dentist today?-

I checked the 'Yes' box again.

After 40 years at my old dentistry I was signing on with a new dentist.   Dentist-shy Lorraine was in da house!

"I want to warn you," I said apologetically as I was led to the dental chair.  "I cry, I whimper, I drum my feet on the foot rest, I howl like a banshee. And I wriggle extensively."

Put it all down to traumatic days at the Dental Clinic on Willis Street when I was eight years old.  The Part 2 came a year or two ago with a newbie dentist at my old practice - see earlier blog.

Yesterday, as my tooth was being filled, I sat as stiff as a board, unmoving, petrified.   A tear did roll down my cheek, more from the fear of anticipation than, I guess, anything else.  My Skechers-clad toes curled forward tightly.  My fingers gripped the arm-rests so hard that if there'd been an emergency evacuation from the building I'd never have been able to unwrench them in a hurry.  I squeezed my eyes shut with no wish to see anything.

"How did it go?", asked a friend afterwards.

"I survived," I said.

But only just.  I felt it had been touch and go.

Roll on that next appointment.  I can hardly wait for it ....   Yeah, right.


3 comments:

  1. I know how it feels to have a hard time with the dentist. I struggled for a few decades with my annual appointment. I dreaded it. And I had to make myself schedule my next appointment a year in advance because I knew that if I did not do it, I would never go to a teeth cleaning ever again.

    Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that the filling went without any issue. I think you have to look at this a little differently. Rather than getting upset in advance of the next visit, look how easy these trips are getting. New dental advances each year make it less painful, and you saw on your last visit it was much less painful than you thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, i'm going to dentist again tomorrow! At the very least another $1000 down.. and I'm paying for this torture? - Lorraine

      Delete