Tuesday, March 15, 2016

New Plymouth and Nelson

Hi there

I've just returned from a couple of weeks' holiday.  One week in New Plymouth and another week in Nelson.  The temp was never less than 24c and on one day in Nelson, the temp hit 29c, a March heat record.

On the 29c day in Nelson, I had booked to go on a day trip to the Abel Tasman National Park.  All a -tingle with excitement I waited at 7.30 am at the Tahunanui bus stop to be picked up.  An Abel Tasman Shuttle bus approached.

I waved happily, and the bus glided right on past me.

Huh?

I was forgotten, forlorn, standing there on the pavement with my bag stuffed full of bathing suit, food, sun block, sunhat, umbrella, and anything else one could think of to ensure a good day in the bush and on the beach.  Not that I was going to go bush adventuring (been there, done that, sprained my knee), but a day lazing on the Anchorage beach would be sublime.

I contacted the company and, yes, they'd gone to a different place to pick me up than the place that was written on my ticket.

I was given a free trip for the following day where the weather wasn't quite as nice, but I did get up close to dolphins which I believe are rarely spotted in the National Park area.

I was so ticked off at being left high and definitely dry that I stomped across the road to Tahunanui Beach and went for an 8 a.m. swim. 

Here's the view from the deck of my en suite cabin at the Belt Road Seaside  Holiday Park in New Plymouth.  I love Belt Road because it is right next to the Coastal Walkway which is a fantastic place to wander.






No comments:

Post a Comment