Saturday, October 12, 2019

Dogs

Hi there

Up until about five or so years ago,  I was frightened of dogs.  Big dogs.  Lap dogs.  Police dogs.  Airport dogs.  A neighbour's dog ...

I would freeze if a dog came toward me, duck down another street, have an anxiety attack.  When I was five years' old, I was bitten on the nose by a German Shepherd dog.  I remember thinking (in toddler language, of course), "I am not scared of dogs.  I'm not!  I will pat this dog and prove that I'm not scared of dogs.  So there!"

So, obviously this scaredy-dog thing was in my mind even before I got bitten on my nose.

Anyway, about five years ago, a friend asked if I would take her little Shitzu for a walk.  We were in a room full of people and I didn't want to come over like a grinch.  So I walked the dog.

Then I walked it a second time.  And a third.  And fourth.  Etc. Etc. Etc...

Now, I goo over dogs.  I like them.  I still put my arms behind my back as I approach them.  But I talk to their owners, ask the animal's name, age, make a joke about how a dog might be smiling.  Sometimes, I ask if I can pat it.

It took years and years, but now I can look a dog in the face and not be too scared.

... but cats are still my first love.

Baby steps, eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment