Thursday, September 8, 2022

So Sad

 Hi there

How truly sad that our queen has passed away,  One of her official titles is, of course, 'Queen of New Zealand'.  I remember as a child going with my entire school to see her coronation on the screen at the Majestic Theatre in Wellington. 

On the day of the coronation we heard that our Sir Edmund Hilary  had been the first to conquer Mt Everest.  I still remember bits of the song about Hilary's feat:

Now you're done it

Reached the summit

Three cheers for the red, white, and blue


Today, we have Charles as our king.   When he came to Wellington a few years ago, I wandered down the road to Weta Workshop with the hope that I would see him. There were only a dozen or so of us waiting outside.  Charles came over to me and reached out his hand.  I hurriedly brought my hands out from my hoodie pockets, and we had a handshake. Goodness, I've just realised: I've shaken hands with our reigning monarch, King Charles III...


No comments:

Post a Comment