Sunday, September 4, 2022

Superstitions our mothers told us

 Hi there

I've been wondering about how long superstitions last in our generational memories. Our parents passed down to us superstitions recognised by their parents and grandparents.  Usually, in our modern day times, however, we laugh about such things.   "Goodness," we chortle, "we don't care if we accidentally break a mirror.  Psssh, who truly believes that there'll be seven years' bad luck ...?"

Or how about walking under a ladder?  True believers do think the action is going to bring bad luck.  I must admit that when I see a ladder I do veer away from it.  "It's sensible," I tell myself. "A bucket of paint might drop on my head."  

However if I do happen to accidentally walk under that ladder I cross my fingers, just as a safety precaution.

 My grandmother told me that I must never bring lilies or peacock feathers into a house, or I would hear of a death.  Same hear-of-a-death-thing if a bunch of flies continually hover around a person, or a bird flies inside the house (pick your bird - different countries' superstitions allocate different birds).   Crossed knives bring bad luck too, a hard thing to avoid as practically every time I do the dishes in the sink, there are crossed knives everywhere.  I retaliate by (again) crossing my fingers!

 When I rush out of the house, slamming the door behind me, I often suddenly think, "Oh, dash-it, I've forgotten my sunglasses (or wallet, or SuperGold Card, or whatever)."  But I hesitate about turning around to go back inside.

"It's unlucky to return for something," my grandmother told me.  "If you do - once you get inside - you must sit down (another version is turn around three times).  

The weird thing is, I do sit down for an instant.  I gave up turning around three times a long time ago; it makes you a bit dizzy when running back out the door with your sunglasses.

I saw the most beautiful sundress in a Taupo shop last summer.  My heart yearned for it. All those wonderful colours, swirls of peacock feathers patterned throughout the style.

I stood looking at that dress for a long time.  In the end I sorrowfully turned away.  I mean, I couldn't wear those unlucky peacock feathers.  Grandma would be so displeased...





No comments:

Post a Comment