Thursday, February 20, 2014

What personal resolutions in our lives were our favourites?

Hi there

I've had two resolutions in my life that literally stood out head and shoulders above everything else. One dealt with shorthand, and the other, aerobics....

I was in my late twenties, a Typist in the government, when I suddenly realised that unless I did something about that, I would be stuck as a Typist - the lowest typing rung imaginable -  forever.   In those days, one could only advance up the typing scale if one had shorthand abilities.  I did not know shorthand.

So, I bought some books and studied at home, right from scratch.  Every night, for over a year, after tea, I sat in the lounge with a tape recorder, a text book, and a shorthand notepad.

It's impossible to describe the joy I felt when I passed my shorthand exam..  A friend swore that when I jumped up in excitement, with pass mark in hand, that my head hit the ceiling.  Something about adrenalin, I guess.

Three weeks after I passed, the government rules were relaxed and non shorthand-typists could advance up the scale!    Still, I will never forget the triumph I felt by passing that exam.

My second triumph was when, in my forties, I got my Aerobic Instructors' Certificate.  Wow!   I only wanted it to write my own programmes, not actually teach a class - though I did run a few classes at work.  Receiving that certificate was just as exciting as when I passed my shorthand exam.

I wonder about other people's favourite resolutions??  Were they achieved?

xxx

Oh, below is another pic of Waiheke Island.  You can see the ferry, leaving Matiatia for Auckland, with a wake behind it.









No comments:

Post a Comment