Saturday, June 13, 2015

Hataitai Beach winter swimming

Hi there

We've now done 6 swims for June, and that's our minimum per month so I'm quite happy.  The shortest day is next weekend but the long range weather forecast is for cold and rain.  We'll just have to see if we manage more swims.

Today, the sea was flat as a pancake.  It was flat yesteday, too.   Quite cold, but we're still swimming without light t-shirts on top of our togs.   As we enter the water,or as we come out from it, passersby often ask us variations of  "Is it cold?"

No, it's at boiling point.

Haha.  It's bloody cold.  We sort of forced a friend to come in with us last winter.  We honestly thought that she was going to have a heart attack - the terrified look on her face, after her first plunge, was like something out of a horror movie; she was so cold.   We are very careful now never to be offhand with people about the temp of the water..

One hour later, after writing the above:  have just discovered that today there have been fierce waves with the sea causing much damage, throwing up boulders and blocking roads on Wellington's southern coastline.  And yet, maybe 3 kms away, J and I were happily swimming in peaceful waters.   The waves at Lyall Bay were apparently 8 metres high.  My swimming friend J reckons that the water at Hataitai Beach was probably not even 8 mms high.

+++

Oh, I passed a campervan yesterday which caused me to chuckle.



"I've often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming."  I think Wickedcampers may be the camper rental firm that has been in hot water with the public because of some of the sayings on their vehicles.





Hataitai Beach today, Sunday NZ time. The airport runway is behind the yachts.  The other end of the runway is where the ferocious sea has been spewing up rocks and wrecking the road, and doing other damage whilst we were swimming in calm waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment