A standard lamp gave out on me the other day. The 'pop' took out most of my lights and electrical equipment. Like a good little wanna-be electrician, I went to the electrical box attached to the side of the house, armed with a screwdriver and a stool (I hate being short. Why wasn't I born tall and ever-so-statuesque?). I pressed down a couple of switches and the house was back to normal.
Except my standard lamp which now had a sort of burnt-appearance up its whatsit.
I had to buy a new lamp. Instantly. Otherwise I couldn't read. And reading is pretty much up there as one of the main passions of my life... awfully boring, hmm?
"Does the lamp come ready-assembled?" I asked the guy in Lighting Direct.
We both peered at the tall box. "Seems like it," he said.
It didn't. When I got home and opened the box, all I could see was a large sheet of polystyrene, jammed in tight against the outside packaging. I gave the polystyrene a tug. Uh oh. I had a fistfull of it.
Another tug. Another fistfull of the stuff. I angrily clawed at it, like a demented gorilla.
It took almost as long to get the polystyrene out of the box - so wedged in tight was it - than it did to assemble the darn lamp. And the lamp-assembly seemed to take forever. The instructions were hopeless.
But, finally, job done. Not very well - the lamp is a bit wobbly and leans a fraction to the side, but I can live with that. I guess ...
Oh, on another note, J and I have completed four swims for April. It's our minimum monthly goal for winter. Yaaaayyy!