Tuesday, December 24, 2013

We wish you a merry Christmas, fa-la-la-la - 4th swim done!

Hi there

Christmas Day as I type this (4.30 pm NZ time).  My friend nd I went for a buffet Christmas lunch and it was pretty dire.  Still, I didn't have to cook it myself so that's a definite bonus.  The potatoes were so tough, I couldn't knife them apart, the crackling would have broken my teeth if I'd eaten it, there was more stuffing than turkey, there was a crack in the bottom of my drink glass, and I squirted the ice cream machine all over me when I used it.  I used to work in health, and I know that when snow freeze ice cream squirts out all drippy and milk-like you must not eat it because it is bacteria-ridden.

On the way back from the restaurant, I stopped off at Hataitai Beach.  I was filled to the brim with turkey, trifle, salads, lamb, ham, mince pies, pavlova, Christmas cake, etc, etc, etc...  I felt like one of those Russian dolls with the rounded bases - when you knock them over, they bounce back up again.  Or, worst case scenario, if I got knocked over I would stay on the ground, unable to get up.

I only hoped that when I was in the water I wouldn't plummet down under the waves with all the Christmas weight I was carrying.  But no, everything was okay.  The water was very warm and I got in my 4th swim for the month, so accreditation where accreditation is due.  J and I can now say we swam a minimum of 4 swims a month throughout the year at Hataitai Beach.  And, all of those swims in our bathing suits.  There was a woman swimming past me today, in a wet suit and she said "Isn't the water cold?"

"Whaaat?  I'm finding it warm, actually," I answered her.

I did 20 mins today because I was in a hurry.  The wet suited woman lasted 10 minutes.  So, the coldness of the water is obviously in the skin of the beholder, or something like that....

Here are some pics of Hataitai Beach that I took about half an hour ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment