Monday, May 12, 2014

Maori Battalion Marching Song World War II

Hi there

In my last blog I mentioned the Maori Battalion, the elite New Zealand/Aotearoa unit from WWII.  These guys were so brave and, yes, they were feared by the opposition because each man in the unit put their all into every battle.

There was a Maori Battalion marching song and it is famous here in NZ.  Just hit the below link and you will hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhS-h3PriY

When I was about thirteen years old, for about six weeks,  my friends and I went down to the Wellington Opera House on a Saturday afternoon to see the NZ-born hypnotist Franquin (Frank Quinn).  Shirley and I were the only ones who took to being hypnotised.

I well remember Shirley charging up to the Dress Circle bellowing out "Peanuts, popcorn, sixpence a bag!", and I marched around the theatre singing lustily the Maori Battalion song.  Oh dear.  If I'd known then what I know now, I would have died of shame.  I cringe to think how myself, and Franquin, were belittling the Battallion.   I am so sorry for this.

(There has been a suggestion that the song is a 'rip-off' of the The Washington and Lee Swing, out of America)

***

Oh, I feel so much for the people of the Ukraine.  They are going through so much sorrow and hardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment