Wednesday, April 22, 2015

swimming at Hataitai Beach

Hi there

A couple of days' ago, I achieved the unthinkable.  I walked through the water - repeat, 'walked' - out to the first buoy at Hataitai Beach, Wellington.

J and I have tried for a long time, during low tide, to walk rather than swim to the buoy but we are both short in height,  the water is high even at the best of times, and the waves can be, well, wavy - we've always missed out.

Me:   "I can't do it!  I can't-glug-glug-glug-"    The water covers my face a good couple of seconds before J gets submerged (she's a couple of inches taller than me), and we always end up having to swim to the buoy that last half dozen or so feet.  So frustrating.

But the other day,  the sun was shining, the waves were flat, the tide was way way out.  And we made it! 

Just.

But 'Just' counts, doesn't it?  Even if we were tippy-toe-ing, and the water was up to my chin?

We slapped the buoy as winners, swimming around it in a triumphal lap.   J lifted the oval-shaped buoy up from the sea by it's lone side handle.  "Cup of tea?"  She pretended to pour.

Gladly.  I would take a cup of  "we beat that sorry challenge" bromide any day of the week.  It's so neat when a life goal is reached.....





No comments:

Post a Comment