Sunday, July 12, 2015

the jellyfish are back at Hataitai Beach

Hi there

My swimming friend, J, emailed me yesterday (Sun pm, NZ time) to say that Hataitai Beach was covered with dozens and dozens of jellyfish.

Oh, no.  I've never known them to come in July.  They're usually for a week or two in the summer, but this year there's been a heck of a lot of them.  We had bad storms on Thurs, Fri & Sat, so the storms probably swept the jellyfish into shore. 

As my five readers know, I am absolutely petrified of these jellies.  I know they're harmless, but when they bang against you in the sea it's like you've suddenly hit a plastic bag that's full of hard water.  Scary....

I went down to the beach today for a nosey.  It was high tide and the jellies that hadn't disintegrated in the sun were in the process of being washed out to sea again.  The last lot I'd seen were the size of dinner plates.  These ones were smaller. Maybe thirty or so of them.

We've done four swims so far this month but I'm not going in the water again until those jellyfish have disappeared from Hataitai Beach shores.  Our monthly minimum is 6 swims.


No comments:

Post a Comment