Friday, November 18, 2016

Earthquake After-shocks

Hi there

Sat. NZ time

When Christchurch kept getting earthquake after-shocks for years following the big one in the South Island,  and the city residents got all stoic and casual about it all, I was gob-smacked.  How could people carry on normal living whilst being faced daily with after-shock followed by after-shock.  I'd never be able to do it.

But you know what?  I am doing it.  As i write this, there have been over 2000 after-shocks since last Monday.  Lots I haven't felt, lots I have.

I haven't sheltered under the table in several days.  Last night I was sprawled out on the sofa playing a word game on my Kindle when I felt a tremor.   I was almost at a winning score, so I played on.

There was a second tremor.  But I was nearly game-triumphant.  I kept going to the end.

On Thursday I went to the movies.  Only a couple of tremors disturbed my immersion in J K Rowling 's wizarding world.

I don't think I've suddenly developed a bravado I never knew I had;  it's  just the way my life has become.  But I must not get too casual.  I must school myself to think that the next tremor could continue on to be The Big One.  My emergency bag is by the front door, I sleep with a torch beside me ...


No comments:

Post a Comment